It's been a tough road, but it's been totally worth it!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"No, it's not lemodade!!"

So I had a regular OB appt. yesterday, but had some unexpected news. My blood pressure was up a little bit again (142/88). Didn't think it was all that bad, considering it's been that high before. I also was Christmas shopping all morning, rushed home to eat lunch, then rushed to this appt, so maybe that's what the reason was. Who knows. What was surprising was they found a tiny bit of protein in my urine! That could be an early indication of pre-eclampsia, or toxemia, or pregnancy-induced hypertension (all the same thing, just different terms). Basically, high pressure in the mother at the end of pregnancy. This is not good for several reasons: Can cause seizures, headaches, swelling, etc in the mother, and can lead to less oxygen getting to the baby which causes growth issues and other problems. So all in all, it's not good.

Good news is, it's very mild (if that indeed IS what I have.. more on that in a minute). Once caught early, it can be controlled with a low salt diet, bedrest, and sometims medication. If the mother is close to full term, they will usually induce labor. Delivery is the only cure.

So Dr. Gernhart said I need to go home, no shopping, no traffic, no stress, do nothing basically. Then she told me I needed to complete a 24 hour urine test... FUN! They gave me the supplies, which consists of a gallon jug looking thing, and a little plastic bowl thingy that you put over the toilet seat so I can pee into. So for 24 hours, I have to collect ALL my pee and then put it in this jug and keep it cool in the fridge. That's why I told Tommy to leave that jug alone, it's not lemonade! :)

I go back to the Dr. today at 2:30 to drop off my jug-o-pee and get some blood drawn. With the swelling in my hands and feet, they just want to be careful. I can understand. To be honest, I'm not really worried about it. Stress can do this to anyone, and someone pregnant is much more likely. With the stress of shopping, money and the holidays here, it's been stressful. So once I get over this "hump" (2009), I hope to relax in the new year and let things happen naturally. Now those of you who really know me are probably laughing at this point... let things happen naturally... HA! I'm a worry wart, and will probably worry myself into pre-term labor! AHHHHH!!!

Next week, starting Monday, I go in for my NST's )non-stress tests) and will have my cervix checked for dilation! Woo hoo! We're getting there!

No comments: