It's been a tough road, but it's been totally worth it!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Transfer and other fun!

Yesterday was egg transfer day.  It started with Dr. Doherty calling about 7:45am to tell me all my embies looked REALLY good... so she said she will leave it up to me how many we transfer.  She said she really oscillates between 2 and 3 for my age (ahem.. 37).  So I told her I was good with 2.  So she said ok, they will take the best 2 and see if we can freeze the rest!

Grandma came over about 8:45, then we were off to the hospital.  I took my valium right before we left, and took a big cup of water to drinnk, since I had to have a full bladder.  Got checked in, they came almost right away to get us, and off we went next door to the hospital!

I changed into my gown, party hat and slippers, and so did Tommy.  They took my vitals and asked how my bladder was.  I thought I needed more water, so they gave me another glass.  About the same time I realized that I had indeed drank too much, my valium kicked in, and I was dizzy!!  Relaxed, but dizzy!  Wheeeeeeeeee!  I was so afraid I was going to wet the bed.. I kept shaking my leg, trying to focus on the TV ion the wall, anything to take my mind off my bulging bladder!

At 10:10am, they were ready for us! Our nice nurse wheeled us down to the same OR we had the retrieval.  I walked in, and got on the table, everyone was all ready to go.  The really COOL part about this was that on the wall, there was a huge flatscreen I hadn't noticed before.  Dr. Doherty told us to watch it. In the next room was the embryologist, and the microscope she used to fertilize and watch our babies was hooked into this TV!  she showed us the dish, which had my name and info on it, so we  know it's our babies, then she positioned the dish right in the middle of the microscope.  Dr. Doherty then walked over to the screen to point out our 2 little embryos!  They were so cute! Just little bubbles on this huge screen.  Then we could see the catheter come in the picture and both little embryos got sucked up inside.  Funny thing was, as we watched them go in the catheter, which was clear, they went down side by side, not one in front of the other.  Dr. Doherty said, "Uh oh, maybe this is a sign of things to come!"... meaning maybe twins!?

The best one... on the left

Baby #2



The embryologist came out of the room with the catheter, and guided by an ultrasound, in they went in me.  Felt nothing and took maybe 2 min.  I then scooted off the OR table onto the hospital bed, and was wheeled back to our room where I had to lay for 60 min before we could leave.  it was 10:30am at that point. I fell asleep, as the valium was still in effect, and I think Tommy did too!

Finally, 11:30 rolled around, I could get up to get dressed, and then layed back down on the bed.  I was wheeled out to the Doctor's garage (underground), where Tommy brought the car.  I got in the backseat, layed down, and off we went!

I was starving, so we stopped for lunch at Dairy Queen (they have the BEST burgers!) and then we headed home to eat.  I got out of the car, went immediatly up to our room, got in bed, and have been there since!  My back is KILLING ME... been taking tylonol like candy, and trying to get comfortable.  It sucks, but will all be worth it if we get a baby out of this!

I go back this Thursday for blood work, and then the pregnancy test a week from Thursday, May 12. 

It's going to be a LOOOOOOONG week!

2 comments:

Meg said...

EEEEK! So exciting!! And so cool you got to see your babies! :) I'm saying lots of prayers!!!

Vanessa said...

Hey girl! LTNR! (Long Time No Read) I am SO very excited to see your ET news and am waiting on sore knees from praying that you are making hat gorgeous daughter of yours a big sis! :)

Take care and God bless,

Blessings,