It's been a tough road, but it's been totally worth it!

Friday, April 3, 2009

Transfer!

Sorry I did not get to update yesterday on the egg transfer, but I was confined to strict bedrest yesterday and Tommy was very adimate and me not getting up unless I had to pee! So here's what happened yesterday.

I woke up at 6:30am with Tommy, he went to work for a little while, so I got up and took a shower. Dr. Doherty called about 7:45am to talk to me about my babies. Out of the 10 ones they let grow in the lab, she said 4 of them looked reeeeally good. Since I had so many good quality ones, she said we should only transfer 2. She said she wouldn't be surprised if both of them stuck (gulp) because of the quality. I took my Valium about 8:30, and have been drinking like mad all morning, to have a full bladder when I got there.

We got there at 9am, and was doing OK when I got there. I got changed into my sexy gown and hairnet, and Tommy had to wear a shirt, pants, hairnet, mask, and booties so he could join me in the OR. By 9:30, Dr. Doherty still wasn't there yet, and I was in sooo much pain. I was getting all hot, crampy, just absolutly miserable because of my bladder! FINALLY, the nurse came running in to tell me the Dr. was there! I couldn't even stand up straight it hurt so bad! And I had to walk all the way down to the OR! So hunched over, I held on to Tommy with one arm, and my crotch the other (I was sooo afraid I was going to pee!), we made it down to the OR... Dr. Doherty was at the end of the hallway cheering me on. When we got there, she handed Tommy a picture... of the 10 embryos that were doing so well!


As I finally got down to the OR, they had me lay on the table, and put my feet in the stirrups... but I couldn't even straighten up because my bladder was contracting so bad. So Dr. Doherty emptied some of my bladder, and what a relief that was! Whew!!!! So then I could lay down, Tommy was on a stool sitting by my head. There were I think 4 other people in the room. The ultrasound nurse did the u/s on my belly, while Dr. Doherty did her thing down there. It was totally painless and felt much like a pap smear. It was litterally done in 5 min. Maybe less. Then, bless her soul, Dr. Doherty emptied the rest of my bladder...... that was the BEST feeling I think I have ever felt in my life. Wow, that was something else!

I was then wheeled back down to my room, and was instructed to lay there for 1 hour. After the hour, I had to pee again, so I did, and got dressed at the same time. The transportation gal came up next and they loaded me on a cart (I have to lay down this entire time). She wheeled me down to the front door of the hospital and Tommy brought the car around. I walked to the car, loaded myself in the backseat to lay down, and off we went. We got home about 11:30am.

So I've been a queen ever since... having food, drink, whatever I needed brought to me :) Too bad it's only gonna last a couple days! I have to go back Sunday morning for more bloodwork to check my levels. Of course, at 7:30am... ugh.

Now our mission: pray like hell at least one sticks!

1 comment:

Meg said...

I will pray like crazy!! I can't wait to hear the next big update!! fingers are crossed1